TEACHING ALPHABETICS: Instructor’s Guide - A Tool for Literacy Coaches
Teaching Alphabetics is a professional development tool designed for literacy coaches to use in planning, implementing, and evaluating a 60 to 90 minute PD session. The tool may be used as designed or adapted to meet the needs of a particular teacher group.
• Instructor’s Guide: step-by-step procedures for facilitating professional development.
• PowerPoint: presentation with talking points on important alphabetics teaching concepts.
• Handout 1: Assess Plan Teach Content (HO 1): review of the Assess-Plan-Teach cycle and discussion that reinforces the key ideas.
• Handout 2: Read About (HO 2): brief article that highlights alphabetics and an overview of basic strategy instruction of phonemic awareness and phonics.
• Handout 3: Key Terms Activity (HO 3): activity that involves participants in defining alphabetic terms and highlights the interrelatedness of the many aspects of alphabetics.
• Handout 4: Phonological/Phonemic Awareness Basic Teaching Strategy (HO 4): a description of instructional strategies of teaching phonological/phonemic awareness.
• Handout 5: Literacy Lesson Protocol Handout (HO 5): a description of the components of explicit instruction.
• Handout 6: Video Viewing Guide (HO 6): a record to take observation notes and analyze video examples of both phonemic awareness and phonics teaching strategies.
• Handout 7: Phonics Basic Teaching Strategies (HO 7): a description of instructional strategies of teaching phonics.
• Handout 8: Reflect (HO 8): questions to guide participants’ reflection on learning from this module.
• Handout 9: Into Practice (HO 9): lesson plan template to guide instructional planning.