TEACHING COMPREHENSION: Instructor’s Guide - A Tool for Literacy Coaches
Teaching Comprehension is a professional development tool designed for literacy coaches to use in planning, implementing, and evaluating a 60 to 90 minute PD session. The tool may be used as designed or adapted to meet the needs of a particular teacher group.
• Instructor’s Guide: step-by-step procedures for facilitating professional development.
• PowerPoint: presentation with talking points on important comprehension teaching concepts.
• Handout: Read About (HO 1): brief article about important concepts in teaching and assessing comprehension.
• Handout: English Language Arts Standards (HO 2): brief description of standards.
• Handout: Effective Strategy Instruction (HO 3): explanation of the steps of direct, explicit teaching technique.
• Handout: Video Viewing Guide (HO 4): a form for recording observation notes and analyzing video examples of comprehension teaching strategies.
• Handout: Into Practice (HO 5): lesson plan template to guide instructional planning.
• Handout: Reflect (HO 6): set of probes to guide participants’ reflection on learning.