TEACHING FLUENCY: Instructor’s Guide - A Tool for Literacy Coaches
Teaching Fluency is a professional development tool designed for literacy coaches to use in planning, implementing, and evaluating a 60 to 90 minute PD session. The tool may be used as designed or adapted to meet the needs of a particular teacher group.
• Instructor’s Guide: step-by-step procedures for facilitating professional development.
• PowerPoint: presentation with talking points on important fluency teaching concepts.
• Handout: Read About Fluency (HO 1): brief article about important concepts in teaching and assessing fluency.
• Handout: Key Terms Activity (HO 2): brief review of key concepts related to fluency.
• Handout: Critical Features of Fluency Instruction (HO 3): a graphic display of important concepts for fluency instruction.
• Handout: Important Fluency Skills (HO 4): brief description of expected benchmarks in fluency.
• Handout: Literacy Lesson Protocol (HO 5) and Fluency Basic Teaching Strategy (HO 6): steps for a literacy lesson; description of components for fluency teaching strategies.
• Handout: Video Viewing Guide (HO 7): a format for recording observation notes and
analyzing video examples of fluency teaching strategies.
• Handout: Into Practice (HO 8): lesson plan template to guide instructional planning.
• Handout: Reflect (HO 9): set of probes to guide participants’ reflection on learning.